Sunday 25th January, 20095 years ago, at the end of January

City leave with a point and much more for the journey ahead

More Information

Luton Town 3 Bradford City 3 At Kenilworth Road in League Two, 2008/2009

How to make sense of this one?

Six goals, two red cards and the frustration of a poor referee were shared out between Luton Town and Bradford City on an afternoon of unpredictable twist and turns. City were feeble but also fantastic, woeful and wonderful at the back, slow then scintillating going forward and, though the point gained makes it six draws in eight, the players and management should have taken far more from it than they have from any game so far this season.

Twice the match seemed to have been lost by City. They couldn’t have made a worse start after going behind on three minutes when Asa Hall headed home a corner which had as much to do with clever off-the-ball running from Chris Martin (not that one) as it did poor marking. That had been Luton’s first attack after City started well with Steve Jones, moved up front to partner Peter Thorne with last week’s strike partnership of Barry Conlon and Michael Boulding relegated to the bench, causing problems and Nicky Law and Thorne going close.

The pattern of play continued after the goal with City pressing forward but not threatening enough with their attacks. The best chance fell to Matt Clarke – who never scores and rarely even threatens to – when dismal marking from a corner left him with a free header which he sent well over. Thorne and Jones also had attempts saved but the slow and laboured build up to City’s play and failure of Omar Daley and Jones to make an impact left players unsure at times over what to do. This was emphasised when Graeme Lee attempted a wild shot from distance with almost his entire team in front of him, which flew well over.

But then it kicked off. City were again on the attack when the ball was cleared to Ian Henderson who charged down the flank only to be stopped level with the edge of the area by a superb tackle from Luke O’Brien. Unfortunately a linesman with a perfect view begged to differ and flagged for a free kick which provoked an angry response from City players and led to the referee Trevor Kettle issuing a warning to substitute Mark Bower for yelling at the linesman. O’Brien was booked with the linesman trying to persuade Kettle he was the last man and the resulting free kick was met by Akanni-Sunday Wasiu who tapped home. Not good marking from a defence distracted by the falling out over the decision, but it should also be noted it was poor goalkeeping from Rhys Evans who was upset enough with his first half performance to spend the interval on the pitch practising.

By then his manager had been sent to the stands, not for arguing with Kettle about the decision to award a free kick, as angry as he was about it, but from encroaching out of his technical area in an effort to speak to him. I read and hear lots about the Respect campaign and have tried not to believe, like others, that it’s simply a load of PR buzzwords with no substance; but if officials are confident enough in their decisions why shouldn’t they be prepared to talk them through with those who question them? As City trooped off at half time 2-0 down without having done a lot wrong, concerns about which direction the season was heading were raised. City had done okay, as they have all season, but now they had to find that extra something and show their credentials.

Which they did.

A quick goal was essential and came when a Law corner caused panic and Paul McLaren, former Hatter, was on hand to prod the ball over the line. What followed was near total dominance from the Bantams with Lee forcing a great save from Conrad Logan after a trademark thunderbolt free kick. The pressure told when Law received the ball on the edge of the area and rolled it back to the recalled Dean Furman, who took a touch and then fired home a crisp shot for his first ever senior goal.

There was no letting up as City, well in control, produced wave after wave of attack. Jones came alive up front with some clever runs, Daley was back to his blistering form and left a trail of defenders in his wake as he cut inside and set up attacks and Law, occupying Daley’s usual left wing spot, was a revelation out wide. Free from the defensive responsibilities of playing in the centre, he stretched Luton by taking up some excellent positions to be fed the ball to and had the vision and confidence to set up chances for others. Furman and McLaren were easily winning the midfield battle and Luton were reduced to sporadic attacks on the break, which were mostly mopped up by a much-improved defensive effort superbly led by Lee. The only time Luton got through saw Evans make a brilliant save, the half time training session appeared worthwhile.

And the chances created. Daley went on a magnificent run from inside his own half beating players for fun before shooting just over, Thorne nodded just wide, Law flashed an effort just wide, Furman went for goal again and was just over, sub Conlon headed just over, Jones’ half volley just saved. The only thing that wasn’t just was the scoreline as City deserved to be out of sight.

They also missed two easy chances when first Daley’s brilliant attempt to steal the ball off the full back and quickly cross left Conlon with the sort of chance Harry Redknapp’s missus could have scored and then a great run from Jones saw the on-loan winger get to the byeline before shooting from a difficult angle when pulling the ball back would have left City players queuing up to tap it in. Such profligacy appeared to have come back to bite when, as the 4th official held up the board to reveal how much injury time was to be played, Clarke gave away a stupid free kick on the edge of the area from which Kevin Nicholls whipped the ball onto Hall’s head to send into the far corner. Absolute heartbreak.

As many City fans streamed out of the grotty away end there were still further twists to come. First Luton keeper Logan decided to celebrate his team’s ‘winner’ by running up and gesturing towards City fans before going into a dance routine that was not so much provocative as embarrassing. Cue many fans rushing to the stewards to complain. Personally I have no problem with a player making gestures to us as long as we can do it back, so I’ll take this opportunity, having missed it at the time, to insult and pick on his personal features in a way which will upset him the most – Logan is terrible dancer.

The game restarted. City tried an attack which was cleared and the ball went up to a Luton player, who was offside. Cue a long wait for the free kick to be taken as Kettle lectured a home player and when Arnison finally pumped the ball into the box you stood there believing you’ve seen this sort of moment at the end of the game so often before and ultimately it will end up in Logan’s hands and he’ll probably wiggle his backside at us as he lies on the ground clutching the ball for five minutes. But it squirmed into the area and as Jones went for it he was faintly clipped from behind and rolled over and Kettle pointed to the spot.

Cue massive protests and a sort-of-brawl between both sets of players which ended with Martin receiving a red card. Meanwhile Logan was all over penalty taker Conlon whispering sweet nothings into his ear about how the Irishman was going to miss. Four minutes later Conlon finally got the chance and showed remarkable coolness to convert the penalty and prompt wild scenes of celebration. Don’t let any of Conlon’s critics tell you his 10th goal of the season was “only a penalty.”

The final whistle blew and as we struggled to get out breath back Stuart came over to applaud us and gestured towards the players to signal they deserve our appreciation, which we did. Meanwhile the referee and his officials had to run a gauntlet of abuse from home fans as they leave the pitch and it was distressing to see them try to protect themselves from a shower of objects thrown at them. Some arrests were made and outside there was also trouble. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the 30-point penalty such a response was shameful and any Luton fan who didn’t throw an object but disagrees is just as bad. If the Respect campaign is going to work the FA must not be shy in punishing Luton Town Football Club.

I received a text just before the end of the game from a Leeds fan saying he had sympathy for Luton’s plight and we often hear how it wasn’t the fans fault, so why should they be punished? The actions of a minority of their supporters yesterday, not to mention their behaviour at Valley Parade earlier in the season, leaves me waving them cheerfully goodbye on their route to the Blue Square – and I hope they take their dancing keeper with them.

But the focus of this report is on City and what a fantastic game of football, easily the best since that afternoon at Prenton Park in October 2004. They looked down and out at stages but showed tremendous character to keep coming back – character which needs to be bottled up and used during the second half of the season.

In keeping with the craziness of the afternoon, City have dropped from fourth to seventh while moving a point closer to second and first. There was much which didn’t make sense yesterday, but one thing I do know is that if City can reach the heights of their second half performance for the rest of the campaign they will be celebrating promotion come May.

More Information

9 Comments

1. Stuart McGregor says:

Let’s make this a turning point in our season to push on with – about time we had a questionable penalty in our favour in the final seconds of a game, and a ref that gave us a chance.

More importantly lets take the momentum from this game into the next!

2. Tom Irving says:

A classic 2nd half yesterday, a definite lesson to learn after we had barely got our of our own half in the first 45. Luton fans may moan about the penalty (which looked just to me despite Harford’s moanings), but we could have been 2 or 3 clear…all the decision did at best was even out the luck. Do they not remember scoring from the free kick that was quoted as “the tackle of the game!!”??? C’mon City!

3. Russell Godding says:

Just a quick note in reply to the report on the Luton Town game, I am a Luton Town fan of 30 years and although I in no way condone the behaviour of some upset fans throwing items at Mr Kettle I object to the comments made by the reporter suggesting City supporters are whiter than white, I refer to the article http://www.bcst.co.uk/?q=aggregator/sources/154 ,
    all clubs have a lunatic element who react excessively to bad decisions/results and Luton are no different (except maybe in having more to be upset about). Please be a little more considerate in future as I am sure if your league status was under threat you would be as distressed as we are and just maybe your goalkeeper would be happy if he thought they had just secured a vital 3 points in a similar position epecially when fans were spilling on to the pitch at every goal scored. I have always been an admirer of Bradford City and sincerely hope they gain promotion, articles such as this do not help that opinion. Russell Godding

4. Hi Russell

You are right about our supporters been far from “whiter than white” and I would not (and did not in the article) suggest anything else. Some of our fans did not behave brilliantly at the end of the game either and there were some awful scenes at Lincoln (our last away game) both inside and outside the ground. I don’t condone that behaviour anymore than you do your own supporters yesterday.

I meant the stuff about Logan to be tongue in cheek but I don’t think it was very responsible of him to run up to us and make gestures. I totally understand he was elated and don’t begrudge him that, but why did he run at our fans?

In closing the length of my match report meant I did not get a chance to praise Luton for the manner they played. I’m sure you would agree we were by far the better team but you clearly have a great spirit and if you can hold your nerve who knows what might happen come May?

5. Russell Godding says:

Thanks for your response Jason, overall I believe the result was a fair one it was just unfortunate the Referee spoilt the match and indirectly caused the unrest (he was equally bad with decisions for both sides) but will face no repercussions unlike the Town who will probably get another points deduction knowing the FA and their hate campaign against us.

Just one final point, in the words of Jim Royle “Better team my ar*e”.

Good luck on Saturday

Russell

6. Michael Wood says:

I have spent the last twenty five years watching Refereeing decision that could make your eyes bleed they were so poor yet I – and millions or other football fans – have never thrown anything at a referee or been involved in unrest and it is sickening for Russell to suggest that because a man makes some terrible decisions that he is to be physically assaulted and that he has caused unrest.

Is Russell saying that those Luton Town fans have a right to attack a Referee and that the FA should back that right? What then do they say to the next Referee that they send to Luton – “Better give everything the home team’s way cause otherwise they are allowed to pelt you with coins.”

Then again we have – in Luton – a team that says hand on heart that they should be allowed to pick which of the rules governing football they obey and what punishments they are given when they transgress them so it surprises me not that they would see punishment for throwing things at a Referee as a part of a “hate campaign”.

However the level of logical gymnastics required to see things from the Luton Town point of view are beyond me.

7. Russell Godding says:

Michael, before accusing me of thinking it was ok to throw objects at the referee I suggest you correctly read my comments, I in no way suggested it was warranted or acceptable and was as sickened as the next man after the actions of a ‘small’ number of so called town fans.

One other point I feel I should make is already the BBC are suggesting we could get a points deduction, how come they are not making the same comments with Millwall or Hull after last weekends scenes of violence.

We at Luton have always said we deserved the points penalties we were given and would probably deserve more for last weeks scenes. What we don’t agree with is that other clubs have done equally (and far worse) illegal things in the transfer market and crowd violence yet gone unpunished due to having Premiership status or enough money to fight the FA.

Your comments have incensed me greatly and I would ask you to keep them to yourself as this was a friendly debate until you came along.

Russell

8. Russell says:

I’m sorry Michael but ‘it is sickening for Russell to suggest that because a man makes some terrible decisions that he is to be physically assaulted and that he has caused unrest’ does not sound like a question to me and I did not suggest anything of the sort. The only gripe I had with your piece was the attack on my good character, be it your web site or not it was not called for.

That aside the site is well put together and is good reading, I hope we can put this behind us as I would like to continue with my opinions in the future as I keep a close eye on Bradfords results and hope they can progress to a level that befits their fan base.

One final point, you missed off the Referee’s association on youre list of conspirators, LOL.

9. Michael Wood says:

Hi Russell.

You were being asked a question not accused so I do not need to reread anything. However the clarification you give as an answer is useful. “Yes” some Luton fans believe it is ok to throw objects but “No” you are not one of them.

It is good that you liken the scenes at Luton with those at the Millwall/Hull game – I would agree that they are on the same level and should be punished in a similar way. The nub of the defence – that other teams were fined money while Luton were fined points – I do not agree with. I would have fined West Ham United – the team most often sighted – points also ergo and by the logic of your argument I agree with the points deduction for Luton and feel that West Ham’s punishment should be charged/criticised and not yours.

I have to say too that I do not see how a fine could be given to Luton considering the club were in and around administration. Would it be ethical for the football authorities to add themselves as a creditor when they knew many other creditors would be losing money and that as a result of that those creditors were less?

If the fine had been set at £5m in a West Ham way how much would that have effected any CVA? How would it have effected the chances of making a CVA work? The timeline of these incident I am not privy to but it seems like there is a suggestion that the fine should have been given before then could have been dumped along with the rest of the debt.

I care not one bit that my comments have incensed you but I am amused by the idea that you are trying to tell me to keep them to myself – Oh please no one upset the delicate bubble of Luton Town where they believe the FL/FA/BBC conspiracy against them – and not to “come along” on what is my own website. In truth I’m giving you a platform for you bring your views to the world despite the fact I don’t agree with them. Your arrogance is that you think I should let you do this without questioning your opinions.